Make an Appointment:
443-544-7555

Why I Became an Audiologist

By Dr. Emily J. Taylor on March 12, 2016 in Audiology
1

I became an audiologist to help people. Bottom line. As a young 18-year-old, I was searching for a major at the University of Maryland that was science/medical related and also had a patient interaction aspect. I quickly realized my Pre-Pharmacy major was not heading me in this direction. A friend’s mother suggested hearing and speech sciences because their next door neighbor was a reputable audiologist and practice owner, Dr. Craig Johnson. I decided to enroll in an introductory hearing and speech sciences class and the rest is really history. The class was challenging yet extremely intriguing. I immediately loved that the whole purpose of becoming an audiologist was to help people communicate more effectively, something that we rely on every day. During my summer breaks, I had the amazing opportunity to shadow Dr. Johnson at his office. I did this purely for the experience and did not receive any school credits or pay. Out of the hundreds of students studying hearing and speech sciences, only about 10% of the students choose to go on to an additional 4 years of graduate school to obtain a Doctorate in Audiology while the other 90% went on to obtain their Masters in Speech Pathology. I will admit at the time an additional 4 years of school sounded extremely daunting. I decided to apply to Towson University after hearing incredible things about their program. I was accepted to TU with 12 other women and formed a special bond with my classmates, this got us through the hard times with studying and projects and our thesis. Yes it was extremely challenging but my education prepared me for a fulfilling career as an audiologist.

Graduating with my Bachelors in Hearing and Speech Sciences from University of Maryland. Go Terps!

Graduating with my Bachelors in Hearing and Speech Sciences from University of Maryland. Go Terps!

Graduating with my Doctorate of Audiology from Towson University.

Graduating with my Doctorate of Audiology from Towson University.

Share

About the Author

Dr. Emily J. TaylorView all posts by Dr. Emily J. Taylor